Filing for Chapter 7 Protection When You Want to Keep Your Home

Using a Personal Bankruptcy Proceeding to Keep Your House

Filing for Chapter 7 Protection When You Want to Keep Your HomeOne of the most common factors leading to the decision to file for bankruptcy protection is the inability to stay current on mortgage obligations. If you’re in over your head, a Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceeding can allow you to permanently discharge certain debts. That usually involves turning the property over to the bankruptcy court. For example, you cannot discharge mortgage debt entirely and keep your house. That doesn’t mean, however, that you can’t file under Chapter 7 if you have mortgage debt. It is possible to discharge some debts and keep your home. Here’s how it works.

The Texas Homestead Exemption

Under both state and federal law, certain types and values of property are exempt from sale in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceeding. Unlike many states, Texas has a homestead exemption that allows you to protect the full value of your home. There are, however some acreage limitations. For property in a city, town or village, the maximum is 10 acres. For rural property, it’s 100 acres. However, if the rural property has residents, 200 acres can be exempted.

The homestead exemption covers all property associated with your primary residence, including improvements, such as roads, swimming pool and fences. You can also claim a homestead allowance for a burial plot.

To claim the homestead allowance, you must have purchased the real property at least 1,215 days before your Chapter 7 petition was filed.

It’s important to understand, though, that when you claim your home as exempt under the Texas homestead exemption, that prohibits you from discharging the mortgage debt attached to the property. You will still owe the balance of your mortgage.

Contact Heath, TX Bankruptcy Attorney Carrie Weir

I offer a free initial consultation to all potential bankruptcy clients. Contact my office by e-mail or call me at 972-772-3083 for a private meeting. With offices in Rockwall, Texas, I represent clients in Heath, Greenville, Lavon, Wylie, Mesquite and Rowlett.

Speak Your Mind


Call Rockwall bankruptcy lawyer Carrie Weir at 972-772-3083 or fill out the contact from below for a free, confidential consultation to discuss your options.

How Can I Help

Complete the contact form
and I will email you.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Consumer Bankruptcy

Can I keep my car? Will bankruptcy stop a foreclosure? Will I ever be debt-free again? How will I ever pay these medical bills?

Read More

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

If you want to stop creditor harassment, eliminate repossession debt, stop garnishments and keep your house, and car, a Chapter 7 bankruptcy could help.

Read More

Chapter 13 Bankruptcy

Are you in jeopardy of losing your house? Are you making good money but everyone is asking for payment right now? Do you want or need to stop collections?

Read More